Skipping a jig has become one of the most productive fish catching patterns in the sport of bass fishing. However, along with its potential for producing giant bites, it has its own unique perils. The most prominent is the potential for tremendous backlashes if the lure strikes a dock post or a wave that arises.
To solve that problem, Lew’s created the Pro SP Skipping and Pitching Reel, a specialized spool that holds 40 yards of 20-pound-test Fluorocarbon with its recessed Knot Slot and included a special “Skipping Zone” in their externally adjustable QuietCast centrifugal braking system. The result is a reel that has all the performance of a Lew’s reel, tuned to greatly minimize backlashes.
According to Pro Andy Montgomery, this reel has made a tremendous difference in his ability to make his namesake skipping presentations. “The spool and braking system of the reel have revolutionized my ability to skip a jig,” said Montgomery. “It has the smoothness to make the casts, and the power to get the fish out from under the docks; it’s absolutely amazing.”
Kevin VanDam, who has been involved with Montgomery in the testing process, said the Team Lew’s Pro SP is not a one-dimensional product. “While it is known as a “skipping reel,” the features make it perfect for any short line target casting and pitching and flipping application,” said VanDam. “I have used it for target casting spinnerbaits and Thunder Crickets, and it makes it easy to be aggressive with casts without fear of backlashing.”
- One-piece aluminum Super Low Profile frame with strong, lightweight graphite sideplates
- Drilled and forged, anodized Duralumin 32mm shallow spool with Knot Slot
- Hard anodized aluminum Speed Gears®, cut on precision Hamai CNC gear hobbing machines
- P2 Super Pinion™ bearing supported pinion gear provides precise alignment and solid stability, resulting in for a smoother operation and extended gear life
- Externally adjustable, 6-pin 27 position QuietCast® Adjustable Centrifugal Braking system (ACB) with orange skipping zone
- Premium 9 bearing system with double-shielded stainless-steel ball bearings and Zero Reverse® one-way clutch bearing
- Anodized aluminum spool tension adjustment with audible click
- Rugged carbon fiber drag system provides up to 20lbs. of drag power.
- Bowed lightweight 95mm aluminum reel handle with EVA knobs
- Bowed anodized aluminum drag star with audible click adjustment
- Zirconia line guide
- Exclusive patented Speed Keeper® hook keeper
- External lube port
The Team Lew’s Pro SP will retail at $199.99 and is available at fishing tackle retailers.