The opening day of trout season for inland streams kicks off April 24 at 6 a.m.
DNR biologists have been stocking rainbow trout across the state.
These streams being stocked include:
- Pigeon River and Pigeon Creek in LaGrange County from the Steuben County line to CR 410 E (Troxel’s Bridge). This does not include the impoundment known as Mongo Mill Pond.
- Harding Run, Curtis Creek, Bloody Run, and Graveyard Run (tributaries of Pigeon River) in LaGrange County
- Turkey Creek north of CR 100 S in LaGrange County
- Rainbow Pit located on Pigeon River Fish & Wildlife Area, approximately one mile east of Ontario in LaGrange County
- Little Elkhart River and Rowe-Eden Ditch in LaGrange County
- Solomon Creek and Cobus Creek in Elkhart County
- Little Kankakee River in LaPorte County from CR 800 E upstream to Division Road
- Spy Run Creek within Franke Park in Allen County
- Mississinewa River within the boundaries of the Randolph County Wildlife Management Area
- Big Blue River within the boundaries of Wilbur Wright Fish & Wildlife Area in Henry County
The following three streams in Elkhart County (totaling 2.8 miles) are designated as year-round “catch-and-release only” and “artificial lures or flies only” trout fishing areas:
- Little Elkhart River from CR 43 downstream to CR 16, except for waters along Riverbend Park from CR 16 upstream to the pedestrian footbridge
- Solomon Creek from CR 33 downstream to the Elkhart River
- Cobus Creek from Old U.S. 20 downstream to the St. Joseph River
To find stocking numbers for Indiana streams, check out the 2021 trout stocking plan.