As many of the state and federal natural resource managers near retirement age, there will be a need to fill vacant positions with qualified individuals who understand and have a passion for sport fishing. To ensure that a pool of well-trained applicants is available for employers to choose from, Shimano and the B.A.S.S. Nation (BN), are offering $2,000 college scholarships in 2019 for students seeking a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a natural resource field. This award will be made directly to the student and not the student's educational institution, and can be used for tuition, textbooks or living expenses.
The applicant must be:
- Enrolled as a high school senior, college undergraduate or graduate student (MS or PhD),
- a U.S. or Canadian citizen,
- Member of B.A.S.S.
The applicant must commit:
- to enroll in a four-year college or university or accredited graduate program as a full-time student,
- to declare a major in biology, fisheries, wildlife or a natural resource related field.
Scholarship Application Process:
- Complete the Application form below.
- Provide a copy of your most recent high school or college Transcript.
- Provide a Letter of Introduction that is no longer than 500 words (one typed page) explaining your background, interests and goals for a career in natural resources. Explain why fishing/hunting are relevant to your educational and career goals.
- Provide two Letters of Recommendation: one from a high school or college educator, and one from a B.A.S.S. Nation member, other than a family member. The letters should state why they feel you would make a good natural resource manager.
- High school students must provide a copy of a Letter of Acceptance from your selected college or university.
- Scan all required documents and e-mail as a single PDF file to: email@example.com
Applications will be reviewed by Shimano and B.A.S.S. staff and select BN conservation directors. The successful applicant will be notified by July 1, 2019 and be featured in Shimano and B.A.S.S. media.
If selected for the Scholarship…You will be required to provide:
- Verification of acceptance into a college or university biology, fisheries, wildlife or natural resources degree program.
- Your Social Security number and IRS W-9 form.